4 Years Compulsory Residential Course
B.E./B.Tech./B.S. Marine Engineering – All Degrees are same
Approved by Directorate General of Shipping
Marine Engineering and the role of Marine Engineers
A Modern ship consists of a host of complex and sophisticated machinery like large diesel engines, boilers, steam engines, steam turbines, gas turbines, alternators, pumps, crosses, winches, compressors, refrigeration & air-conditioning plants etc. The role of the Marine engineer is to perform the task of operating and maintaining these machinery safely and efficiently which requires a high degree of skill and expertise. We at CMC, AMET, IMA, PSN, VEL’S Chennai & Covai are fully equipped to provide high standard of training to produce top class marine Engineers.
Career Prospects for Marine Engineer
After the cadets complete the four year Marine Engineering course and a four-Modular course successfully, the student is eligible, to be appointed as Junior Engineer on Merchant Ships. On completion of the stipulated period on ships and after passing the required competency Examination conducted by the Directorate General of Shipping, Govt. of India or Marine Administration of other governments, the Engineer becomes a Chief Engineer of a ship within 6 to 7 years. The academy assists necessary guidance for placement for successful meritorious students.
Passed+2 or its equivalent with an average mark of 60% in PCM and 50% marks in English either in class 10th or +2
Age Limit – Maximum 25 Yrs
Candidates should be physically fit for sea service under standard norms, with eye sight up to 0.5 distance vision with no colour blindness. VISION No Color Blindness, (+) or (-) 2.5 vision is allowed. Eye Glasses permitted.
Procedure for Booking of Seats, Important Dates for Admission & Joining
- The interested candidates can book their seats by downloading the application form from the website (or) can be collected directly from the office.
- If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can reserve your seat by sending Reservation fee of Rs.5, 000/- by DD in favour of “SBC Educational Services” Payable at Madurai. (Please verify your eye sight before reserve your seat). Reservation Receipt will be sent immediately. The Balance course fee has to be paid as intimated by the Academy.
- Those who are awaiting for their (10+2) / HSC results, can also send the filled-in Application form along with the reservation fee (Seat Reservation Receipt will be sent immediately).
- The students who reserved their seat should report the SBC- Administrative office along with the passport size Photograph (Two), Original Mark sheet & Passing Certificate of 10th std & 12th std. (The Reporting Date will be informed to the Students).
- Verification of Mark sheets & Medical Test will be conducted at the Academy.
- The students, who are medically fit & found their eligibility marks correct, should pay the balance course fee before commencement of the course.
- The students must come with their Personal items, listed below, to Marine Hostel on the reporting Date.
Training at Marine :
The course is designed to provide a solid foundation in Navigation, Mechanics, Cargo Work and Practical Seamanship & to impart a comprehensive foundation in the fundamental nautical sciences. The curriculum also focuses on the specialized knowledge of the theoretical and practical aspects with an emphasis on those skills and competencies that are required for Navigation, Cargo operations and Ship Maintenance & Operations. The essence of Nautical Science programme is to train students to become competent deck officers in the maritime environment, capable of managing navigational and cargo work duties.
The training also includes the development of competency in verbal communication, safety culture in maritime environment and important aspects of shipping. The cadets are inculcated with sense of discipline, team spirit and the right attitude with lot of physical and mental activities
Course Duration: 3 years or 6 semesters residential course.
This course will lead the candidates to become the Captain of the ship. Captain of the ship is also referred as Master mariner. On successful completion of this pre-sea training, the candidates are eligible to become nautical Deck Cadets on board a ship. The leading international shipping companies are regularly conducting campus interviews at our Academy for the job placement. The academy assists necessary guidance for placement for successful meritorious students.
This course consists of six semesters. The B.Sc (Nautical Science) degree will be awarded by the University on the successful completion of Three years duration. After 3 years, the cadets will be joining as the Trainee Cadet Officers on board the ship. They will have to obtain 12 months sea experience. On completion of 12 months sea experience, they will be promoted directly as SECOND OFFICER without any further examinations. With further sea service & exams, they will be promoted to Chief Officer and then becoming Captain of the ship.
Qualification – A pass in Plus-two (12th Standard) or its equivalent, with minimum 60% aggregate in Maths, Physics and Chemistry group and at least 50% marks in English.
Age – Below 25 years at the time of commencement of the course
Gender – Boys and Girls are eligible to apply
Career Opportunities after B.Sc Nautical Science
The job opportunities that are available for aspirants who have finished their education in the field of nautical science are many.It is possible for individuals to get employed as:
- Deck Officer
- Marine Engineer
- Radio Officer
- Scuba Diver
Subsequent to the completion of the B.Sc. (Nautical Science) degree, it is possible for one to get a variety of on shore jobs. Subsequent to the obtaining of the certificate of competency – Master (FG), a person can find suitable job openings with firms of the public or private sectors. They can get jobs as:
- Ship Manager or Marine Superintendent
- Nautical Surveyors
- Teacher with any Maritime Training Institute
- Pilot with Port Trust
With more experience as well as qualification, one will get promoted to higher designations during the course of the time.
For Admission of Any Course or for Fresh Requirement’s
Please Call +91 – 98945 02366